If you're not prepared, the beach can actually be a dangerous place. While most of us are aware of the obvious dangers of sharks, sunburns, and sandy shoes, Mother Nature always delights in surprising us with new and terrifying things.
That's a lesson that four-year-old Paul Franklin and his family learned after a recent beach vacation.
No one gave it a second thought when Paul fell and scraped his knee while playing in the sand.
“We cleaned it up and put a Band-Aid on it,” said his father, Ken Franklin. But that fix didn't last for very long. A few weeks later, Paul's knee became swollen and infected.
That's when his parents took him to the doctor.
The physician didn't think that there was anything wrong. But Paul's mom, Rachel, wasn't convinced. She decided to drain the wound, and after making a small incision, she made a confusing discovery.
"It looked like a rock. It was a black thing,” she said. Looking closely, Rachel suddenly realized that she was holding a tiny sea snail.
A snail egg somehow got stuck inside Paul's knee when he fell at the beach. It managed to grow under his skin for three weeks.
To test her theory, she submerged the small snail in water to watch it move. She was right. Thankfully, though, Paul made a swift recovery from this bizarre ailment.
(via CBS Los Angeles)
Apparently, sea snails are a lot cleaner than we all thought. Still...I think I'm going to wear pants at the beach from now on. I don't care what anyone says.