Ad Blocker Detected

We've noticed you're currently running ad blocking software. The contents of this site are available for free thanks to the contributions of our sponsors. If you cannot see the entire article, we would appreciate if you would deactivate your ad blocker and refresh the page before continuing to browse.

Thank you.

In 1980, A Member Of This Town Disappeared...Some Say He Was Abducted By Aliens

JULY 4, 2015  —  By Mike Cahill  
Mike Cahill

Mike Cahill

Mike is ViralNova's resident Editor of the Weird. If it makes you say "OMG! That's terrible!!!" then Mike probably wrote it. Despite the subject of his articles Mike is surprisingly well adjusted. When he's not writing, he's making music, performing, and producing podcasts.

In 1980, Vancouver Island resident Granger Taylor wrote his parents a cryptic note, attached it their bedroom door, and disappeared without a trace. The note read as follows:

Dear Mother and Father, I have gone away to walk aboard an alien ship, as recurring dreams assured a 42-month interstellar voyage to explore the vast universe, then return. I am leaving behind all my possessions to you, as I will no longer require the use of any. Please use the instructions in my will as a guide to help. Love, Granger

He left behind all of his possessions, including $10,000 in cash. More than 30 years later, Taylor's disappearance has still not been explained. No one knows what became of him.

Taylor grew up on Western Canada's Vancouver Island. By all accounts, he was a smart young boy who grew up to be an ingenious young man.

He dropped out of school in the 8th grade and taught himself all about mechanics. At the age of 14, he rebuilt his own car. At 17, he rebuilt an old bulldozer that was being scrapped. He continued to improve his skills as a mechanic well into his twenties with projects of increasing difficulty.

His mother and stepfather were proud of his intelligence and technical prowess. When Taylor tired of cars and construction equipment, he became infatuated with airplanes.

And from there, he developed an interest in UFOs. He was fascinated by the sudden, almost impossible aerial feats these crafts were able to perform. (Pictured above are Taylor's mother and stepfather.)

Taylor built himself a sanctuary in his parents' backyard (pictured below). This is where he pondered the mechanical capabilities of UFOs.

Taylor painstakingly constructed a life-sized replica of a UFO out of scrap metal and spare parts. He furnished the inside with a couch, TV, and wood burning stove. According to reports, this is where he spent most of his time.

One day, Taylor said he received what he believed was a telepathic message from an extraterrestrial being.

Taylor's friend described the communication like this:

He said it happened when he was in bed. He lay there and got mental communications with somebody from another galaxy...He said it was like they were talking to him and to his mind. He was asking questions about the means for powering their crafts. The only thing they would tell him was it was magnetic.

Several days later, the disembodied voice visited Taylor again, offering him the chance to take a 42-month trip through the solar system.

Of course, those around Taylor didn't actually believe that he was going to embark on an interstellar journey. They thought he had just gone a little crazy...until he vanished, that is.

On November 28, 1980, as a storm front rolled over the island, Taylor packed his truck for a trip to nearby Mount Sicker.

While the storm raged, Taylor quietly slipped off, never to be seen again. After four years -- the length of the journey Taylor said he was taking -- his parents left their doors unlocked, hoping he would come home. Sadly, Taylor and his truck were never found.

(via: Mysterious Universe)

It seems very possible that Taylor was suffering from schizophrenia or a similar illness when he started hearing voices. Then again, if he were mentally ill, it's likely that his car (or the remnants of it) would have been discovered at some point in the 30 years since. This is a mystery we may never solve.